Wednesday, September 15, 2004

15 Sept. 04 Tomatoes, Broccoli, Wild Coreopsis, Gaillardia.

15 Sept. 04 Wild Coreopsis, Gaillardia, Tomatoes, Broccoli.

I transplanted the wild flower package that I got from the NWF. I figured there was no percentage in leaving the thing in the refrigerator. I spread the seeds in late august. I think I have some wild Choreopsis and Indian Blanket Plant. Don’t know yet. I also transplant my little Pansies. The purple Johnny Jump ups are smaller but they have more roots The yellow Pansies are less wild, more garden seeds and confidant of care, so they don't grow as many roots but concentrate on the show.
Little tomatoes volunteered in the flats. They are the Matt’s Cherry Tomato kind I like these and put a few in pots to bring in for winter growing. I have actually had a few tomatoes off season on these little lovlies, but took these in mainly because I don’t have any seeds for this variety and don’t want to have to order more next year. It seems to like to start itself all over the garden, but I have a few plants just in case it decides to take the year off. It gets serious for fusarium wilt and has to be trimmed all the time.
I’m going to try starting my tomatoes a little later in the season and maybe growing them on a stake and trimming suckers. They’ll get more air that way and maybe more sun. They have trouble with the transfer from the porch to outside. It wouldn’t hurt to rig up some grow lights for them. Tomatoes are a mediteranian plant. They prefer warmpth and sunshine and grow quickly. I can start the spring tomatoes early and hold back on the main season ones. My neighbor’s tomatoes were fantastic enough this year to cause jealousy, Gardener’s Delight. I enjoy open pollenated varieties. I like to root some at the end of the season to take in the house, have not done this yet.
I have many flats that will get neglected when we go away. I will put them in the shade and hope it rains. If Linda feeds the cats, maybe she will take pity on them. The plants inside will survive a week without me.
The Broccoli from the tub is tender and tasty enough for the ground hog, we had some in our salad. Waltham is the only open pollinated variety of broccoli I can find that does much. It produces small heads but keeps up side shoots for a long time and is great for salads. The tub is plastic, about 15” x 24” x 10” deep with a few drainage holes in the bottom. It seems like a minimum size to grow greens in. Smaller pots dry out too fast. I use is straight compost without mixing soil, it seems to work fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home