Thursday, January 15, 2009

Garage Re-do; Roof and Door

My garage has a iffy roof, a bad door and I want a greenhouse. The door faces the South side. We don’t use the garage for cars. To me it is good reuse to put a light, transparent material on the door and a green roof (for drainage issues).

The Roof

I keep watching the adds. Someday a bright marketer will come out with a mass produced green roof. Whether the product will be in time, before my garage leaks is another question. They had better hurry up.

Intensive green roofs are expensive and seem to involve an architect. If my ship came in, so to speak, I would spend money on an architect designed roof for the garage. I could reenforce the structure and put steps up to the top, grow small shrubbery there.

It would be okay just to put up sedum, unroll all three layers on top of the roof and be done, put up an Extensive green roof. Neighbors would think it less weird. If only Home Depot would market one. The Home Depot off of 47th street in Chicago has a green roof, but they don’t sell the materials. Strange times we live in. There are specifications posted at The NRCA Green Roof Systems Manual—2007 Edition

I keep watching the adds. Someday a bright marketer will come out with a mass produced green roof that will be cheap. Whether the product will be in time, before my garage leaks is another question.





The Door

Maybe the economic downturn will be a boon to allowing jury rigged construction in the neighborhood. In the 70’s people didn’t worry what the neighbors would think about additions, they just built. City living requires some uniformity, I guess. I want to put fiberglass or plastic sheeting on the big auto door of my garage to let the light in. I could take off the door siding and put plastic on the frame of the door. What the neighbors would think of that, I don’t know. But my guess is they wouldn’t like it, would think it looked too much like junk cars on the property.

I already store figs and zone 6 plants in the garage in winter. If there was light inside, I could grow greens and brassicas and carrots there in winter. Not much would be growing now, but come February, when the earth turns and tropics come alive, the sun would coax things from the pots. The space is out of the wind, would be warmer than it is outside, like a giant cold frame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home