Monday, April 13, 2009

Cock-adoodle-do

Cocka-doodle-do

The rooster that used to live next door is gone, died defending his flock. I miss the crowing to greet the morning. He crowed other times of the day too. Neighbors and visitors heard the crowing and wondered about their sanity. It is legal, or not illegal, to own chickens in our little suburban township. The foxes ate very well for a while there, but now the chickens stay inside their house unless our neighbor is out with them. He doesn’t even go in to answer the telephone, foxes watch patiently and they are fast.

Looks to me like farming chemical companies will have to come up with a new strategy for getting folks to garden with their products. Even at the Whitehouse the first gardener is not using artificial farming fertilizers and weed killers. It is scary for agribiz, they have had the government in their pocket for so long. Right now their strategy is press releases of shock and appall. I don’t worry about them though, they will probably get their big guns out, retool them, and release them on unsuspecting consumers everywhere. Meanwhile gardeners will keep gardening.

I like to use open pollenated seeds, in case I keep any of them. I kept some of the seeds from Kellog’s Breakfast yellow tomato seeds. I suspect my spouse found them and threw them away. I like to save tomato seeds on a paper napkin, then sprout them by putting them on dirt and sprinkling a little dirt on top. I love yellow tomatoes, they seem sweet, or perhaps they are less acidy than red varieties.

It is good to save lettuce seeds. Lettuce seed doesn’t keep well. Lettuce looks pretty when it flowers and doesn’t take long to make seed. I am still looking for the variety that bloomed in blue flowers one year, looked like chickory, and it made my knees melt. I don’t mind the yellow flowers, that my current varieties bloom into. The saved seed sprouts well. I planted my lettuce pot thickly this year, thinning and repotting is a chore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home