Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Invasive Plants Along the Creek

The afternoon was mild today. I spent quite a lot of time pulling up garlic mustard and cutting buckthorn etc.

I have been waging a champaign against buckthorn for several years. I prefer not to enrich the chemical industry on my account and do not use glycosol. I have been cutting off limbs, consistently removing leaves. I have focused on planting other things. Most of the buckthorn has not survived. This is notable.

Four out of five Catelpa trees have survived. My friend Gary gave me the seeds. One red ozier dogwood that I could see is still growing along the creek and I wonder if it needs more sun. Buckthorn and tree of heaven and a decorative crab that must have planted itself there, live close to the creek. I don’t cut close to the creek. The huge old cottonwood has survived. There are a lot of violets and asters that plant themselves. Like the nile, we get sediment that is making the banks higher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home